How the pharmaceutical industry is changing - where has it come from, where is it going?
This month’s deals provide a microcosm of the changes in the pharmaceutical industry in the last 10 years. It has been a long time since there was a so-called megamerger of two pharmaceutical companies. Gone are the days when companies like Pfizer bought Wyeth and Merck & Co bought Schering Plough in 2009. There were some attempts to capitalise on tax inversions, e.g. Pfizer and AstraZeneca and AbbVie and Shire in 2014, but when these failed, and given the poor track record of large mergers, the megamerger days seemed numbered.
However, there are some large companies that have seen a significant reduction in share price and/or are weakened by debt (Shire, Teva, Allergan). As reported last month, Shire’s share price dropped by a third over the past 12 months to around £30. Allergan has over $20 billion of debt and is rumoured to be considering selling off its women’s health business for around $5 billion. So perhaps it was not surprising to see a new megamerger hit the headlines for the first time in years........
|Deal Type||Headline ($m)|
Merck KGaA OTC (DE)
|Company and asset acquisition||4,200|
|Click here to view the top 20 deals for April 2018|
The full report also contains:
- Where the pharmaceutical industry came from
- Where is it going?
- Business area rationalisation - OTC
- Business area rationalisation - generics
- R&D rationalisation
- R&D risk sharing
- Acquisition and licensing of new technologies and products to supplement R&D pipeline
- Entering new therapy areas - rare diseases and others
- 'Sticking to the knitting' by supplementing existing major therapy areas
- Discovery collaborations
- China entering the world stage...
Interested in reading the past issues?
- Download the Deal Watch March 2018 HERE
- Download the Deal Watch February 2018 HERE
- Download the Deal Watch January 2018 HERE
- Download the 2017 Annual Review HERE
- Download the Deal Watch December 2017 HERE
- Download the Deal Watch November 2017 HERE
- Download the Deal Watch October 2017 HERE
- Download the Deal Watch September 2017 HERE
- Download the Deal Watch August 2017 HERE
- Download the Deal Watch July 2017 HERE